Beauty and The BeastBeauty and Cancer seems like a mismatch. Sometimes it is hard to feel pretty when you are not looking very pretty. Breast cancer, uterine cancer or any other kind of cancer does not only change your body, it can also change your skin, causing dehydration, red splotches, dry patches and more.
When you’re diagnosed with breast cancer, most likely you will lose your hair and putting on makeup may be a chore. You just don’t feel like it. When you’re not up to your usual beauty routine, here are some tips to get you going and feeling the best and looking the best you can in spite of everything.
- Buy a rich and decadent face and body cream. It’s important to keep hydrated via drinking water and moisturizing your face and body.
- Simplify your routine. You don’t have to apply a full face of makeup. Skip the foundation and opt for a tinted moisturizer or a light formula foundation. Apply with a sponge that is damp, not dry, as it will make your skin look better with makeup on.
- Use a powder that has moisturizers. Setting powder such as rice powder is a good choice. Your makeup needs some staying power, as your body chemistry is different. Often with cancer, your skin loses its luster. Try a loose face powder that is in a brush or in a jar and dust across your face with gentle strokes. It will make your skin have a slight dewy finish. They are also available in cream form; either one is fine.
- Buy a delicious set of lip glosses, lip balms or lipsticks. My signature saying is “A woman without lipstick is like a day without sunshine.” I believe lipstick is magic and helps bad days become better. A swipe on the lips is a beautiful thing!
- Pamper yourself. Find a beautiful hand mirror, not a magnifying mirror. It will help you see your face in the best light. I always double check my makeup with one by a sunlit window. This way I leave the house or stay in knowing my face looks nice and complete. Check your nearest antiques mall for some pretty finds. Also, buy new sheets and pajamas. They will make you feel good cuddled up in them. Take a long, warm bath in Epsom salts with or a massaging shower.
- Buy a tinted brow gel. This is an excellent way to fill in your lost or sparse brows.
- Make blush your BFF. Adding a little blush to your face will boost your spirits and add a hint of color to your face! It’s an instant face-lift.
- Aroma. A scented candle or decorative potpourri is another treat. Choose lavender, vanilla, rose or citrus. They will help you with all your moods. Lavender soothes and calms you down; vanilla makes you happy; and citrus scents make you feel good.
- Don’t be so hard on yourself. Now is the time to take extra good care of your body, mind and spirit! Stay well and be strong. You are a gorgeous and amazing.
I love to hear from you. If you need me, call or e-mail. I care about you and your beauty health too!
Noreen Young is an internationally known makeup artist and motivational speaker. She has written two books and is a regular on WJXT TV-4’s “Morning Show.” You may reach her at noreen@noreen young.com or (904) 739-2560.
Hair Care Tips
Posted on April 2, 2015 by UniWigs
When you try to purchase a human hair wig, what will come to your mind first? The hair color? The hair density? Or the wig cap constructions? If you are not so sure, this email would be a great help.